I had bought several rings of Kielbasa last time there was a sale on it..,the kids suggested some sort of Scalloped potatoes for dinner so this is what I threw together, and might I add , it was creamy, rich, cheesy goodness! True comfort food! Enjoy!
1 Tbsp oil
1 – 14 oz kielbasa – sliced and cut into
1 medium sweet onion, sliced and cut into
6 medium potatoes – peeled, washed and sliced – i used my mandolin to keep thinness consistent – about 1/4 inch
2 c cheddar or favorite shredded cheese
3 1/2 Tbsp butter
4 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 – 3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- In a medium skillet over medium – high heat, add oil – once hot, add the kielbasa & onions, stirring occasionally – you want the sausage to start caramelizing and the onion to soften. Set aside.
- Peel, wash and slice potatoes. Can do ahead, keep in cold water. You could par cook these now too, to cut down baking time, if using a harder potato- such as Russets. I usually will boil 10 – 15 minutes to soften some.
- Start sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat- melt butter and once melted add the flour…whisk to make a paste and continue cooking for at least a 1 minute to remove the flour taste. I usually stir for 1 1/2 min.
- Add the broth slowly and whisk as adding, making sure there are no lumps. Now add the cream and milk – then seasonings. Stirring often until you have a thickened white sauce. Taste now, and see if needs more seasonings.
- In a 4 quart casserole. Ladle enough sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. Next, layer half the potatoes, then half the kielbasa and onion mixture. Next half the cheese.
- Repeat layer of sauce, potatoes, kielbasa and end with cheese. ( you will need to push potatoes some into the white sauce). When cooking the sauce will cover the potatoes. So don’t worry.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Then, remove foil and continue baking for 40 minutes longer or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve along side of your favorite vegetable and maybe a nice slice of crusty bread. Enjoy!