3 boxes Cheddar Pierogi (16 oz. each) – Regular size is preferable
4 cups chicken broth
1 8 oz. block cream cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound kielbasa – sliced
salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in your crockpot.
Cook on high 3-4 hours, or on low 6 hours.
Preheat oven to 350° F
Grease a 13×9 baking dish.
In a saucepan, combine chicken broth and cream cheese. Heat until cream cheese is melted – stir occasionally to incorporate the melting cream cheese.
Begin with a layer of frozen pierogis in the bottom of the baking dish, then a layer of kielbasa, a layer of the cream cheese sauce, a layer of shredded cheddar cheese.
Repeat the layering.
Bake for 30-45 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and beginning to look a golden brown.
• Mrs. T’s brand frozen pierogis are great, but I have only used these – other brands may work just as well.
• Serve with a fresh green salad and crusty bread.
• The mini pierogi are more bite sized but they do not hold up as well as the regular ones and tend to fall apart.
• There are other flavors of pierogi which you can try out for variation!
• The sauce for this crockpot pierogi and kielbasa casserole looks thin when it comes out of the slow cooker, but it will thicken nicely as it cools.
• Adding crispy fried onions as a garnish if you make this in a Crockpot, or added at the last five minutes of baking, add a nice crunch to the casserole.
• You can store in the fridge for up to 4 days, but it does not do well in the freezer. The dairy takes on an odd consistency, so I do not recommend freezing. That was a sad thing for me but thankfully it is not a difficult or time-consuming dish.