3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening, room temperature
5 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
6 Tbsp lemon juice
1 lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray or butter and flour 2 loaf pans or one large Bundt pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until well blended after each one.
- Add dry ingredients in three additions to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Mix in lemon juice and zest.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into centre comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.