This is the perfect soup for a cold winter day. It will fill you up it’s full of amazing flavor! The kids will love it too!
This soup is fantastic! Simply delicious and so healthy too! I love soup with barley in it and so do the kids. I like to make a big batch and freeze some. It’s always great to have some soup in the freezer for when someone gets sick.
This can also be made in the crock pot or slow cooker. After you brown you beef, add all ingredients to the crock pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until carrots are cooked.
Best Ever Beef And Barley Soup
Servings 10 servings
Cook Time 40 minutes
- Chuck roast trimmed
- Carrots thinly sliced
- Celery thinly sliced
- Onion chopped
- Pre-sliced mushrooms 8-ounce
- beef base
- bay leaf
- 1 pound boneless chuck roast trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups carrots thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups celery thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup onion chopped
- 1 package pre-sliced mushrooms 8-ounce
- 2 tbs beef base (this is different than beef broth it is a base that makes beef broth)
- 8-10 cups water
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tbs garlic
- Brown beef in non-stick fry pan until browned, stirring frequently.
- Remove beef from pan and place in crockpot, Add carrot, celery, onion, and mushrooms, beef base, water, garlic and bay leaf.
- Cook on high heat for one hour, add pearl barley then turn down to low and cook till vegetables and beef are tender. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Discard bay leaf.