• 5 tablespoons chili powder
• 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp dried oregano (crushed)
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp garlic salt
• 5 cups cold water
• 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- Mix dry ingredients in a large saucepan until well combined.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup of water while whisking continuously to eliminate lumps. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the remaining 4 cups of water making sure there are no lumps.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat until thickened and barely boiling.
- Stir in tomato sauce and heat thoroughly. Do not boil.
- Use in your favorite enchilada recipe.
- Optional – If you prefer a mole type sauce replace the cumin with 1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder.