- 3/4 cups softened butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups oat flakes
- 1 cup cherry spread (Double Fruit type)
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour and baking powder. Add as much dry ingredients as possible to the butter mixture, beating on low speed. Using a wooden spoon, stir in remaining dry ingredients and oatmeal.
- Reserve 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the oatmeal mixture. Press remaining mixture into lightly buttered 13″ x 9″ (33 cm x 23 cm) pan. Cover with cherry spread. Sprinkle with reserved oatmeal mixture.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 35 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Place pan on wire rack and cool completely. Cut into bars.